As makers, a part of our income comes from craft fairs and to do that, you will need to put together a top notch application to shine above the rest and show us why you are Got Craft? (or any event) material!
tip one: Submit a well rounded application with better photography
“The first thing I look at when reviewing applications are the images. If they don’t catch my eye, I’m hesitant to read the rest of the application no matter how good it may be.”
Got Craft? requests that you submit 3 images that best represent your handmade products. Take a few moments to clean up your photos, invest in a professional photographer to shoot your work, or take a photography class. You don’t need a fancy camera or mad photography skills, but make sure you show your work properly.
- Find a spot with natural light and play around with it to avoid shadows. No flash please!
- A little styling will go along way, but too much will distract away from your products. Be aware of your background and remove any clutter.
- Avoid using the camera on your phone and editing them with a filter.
- Show your range of products by creating a collage.
- Make sure your photos are low res unless otherwise requested.
- Don’t have photoshop? I use PicMonkey, a free online photo editing website.
tip two: Check it twice!
We are all guilty of a misplaced word, but do your best to proof read your application before hitting submit! Make sure you answer the question asked. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve received a question in the “Please describe your product here. If accepted, this description will be used on the website”. Have you participated at Got Craft before? Tell us what new items you are working on!
tip three: Update your website and online links.
“It’s always disappointing when people submit a dead link or a link to a blog that hasn’t been updated since 2009”.
We don’t expect you to be a social media queen or king, but if you submit a link to your etsy shop, please make sure that your shop has at least a few products listed! If you don’t blog anymore, just let us know. Love facebook and twitter!? Share your updates with us! Your online presence shows us how active you are and in turn, how much you will help spread the word.
Online applications to the Got Craft? 2013 Spring Edition on Saturday, April 27th and Sunday, April 28th at the Maritime Labour Centre are now open. Click here for details!
image via sassy contessa